Orientation and mobility (O&M) services are designed to help your child learn how to move around safely and confidently in their environment, if they are blind or have low vision.
How can O&M services assist?
Our specialists can help your child in a number of ways, including providing support and training in:
- Using a cane or other mobility aid
- Navigating unfamiliar spaces
- Crossing streets safely
- Using their other senses, such as hearing and touch, to get around and interact with their environment.
The goal of O&M services for children to develop the skills they need to get around independently and participate fully in their daily lives
Signs your child may benefit from orientation and mobility support
- Lack of confidence in new environments
- Stumbling or tripping over changes in the ground surface
- Bumping into obstacles in the environment
- Frequently getting lost in familiar or unfamiliar environments
- You or your child are concerned about their safety when in the community
- Your child wants to travel independently e.g. use public transport
Areas of focus include:
- Long cane training
- Mobility aid prescription and training
- Transport training and route travel
- Assessment and support of functional vision
- Assessment and support in safe environments
- Early concept development
- Gross motor skills
- Independence skills